Sunday, June 25, 2017

DIY Wooden Sign


Decorative wooden signs seem to be everywhere these days, especially in those cute little boutiques we all love! However, a lot of them are pretty expensive. Instead of paying big bucks, I wanted to share will ya'll how I made one of these cute wooden signs for our family beach house! It was super easy, and turned out really cute!

MATERIALS
  • Wood
  • Spray paint
  • Sand paper
  • Pencil
  • Ruler
  • Acrylic paint
  • Paint brushes
  • Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer Spray, Gloss

First, find your desired size of wood. Lucky for me, I liked the size I had so I didn't have to do any wood cutting. Depending on the type of paint you use, you may need to prime the wood, but since I used spray paint that included primer, I got to skip this step.


Next, I went ahead a spray painted the wood. I started at the top and worked my way down spraying horizontally, in a back and forth motion (like in lines). Make sure to release the spray button when you get to each end before you begin the next line. This will make your paint look more even throughout so you don't end up with dark blobs on the ends of the wood. Let the paint dry depending on what time the can suggests.


After the paint is completely dry, sand down the paint to give the sign a more rustic and distressed look. Focus a lot on the corners and the edges of the sign. You can do as much or as little sanding as you want to get whatever look you're going for. I did a substantial amount of sanding because I wanted mine to look very distressed with little paint.


Next, I wrote the words I wanted directly on the sign with a pencil. I used my ruler to get an idea of where the middle of the sign was so I could plan where I would start each word. Make sure to write lightly so if you mess up you can easily erase and there won't be random lines all over your sign.

Lastly, I used navy acrylic paint to paint on the words. Make sure to use the right size paint brushes that you are most comfortable with to get the right amount thick or thinness you want! I would suggest practicing a bit if this is your first time painting letters. After the words are completely dry, spray the board with the mod podge spray to seal the paint and give it a glossy look. You can add as much or as little of this depending on how glossy you want your sign to be!

Here's how my sign turned out!


I'm still trying to decided what might be the best way to hang up the sign. Since the wood is pretty thin, using nails and a wire isn't really an option, but that's a great way if your wood is thick. I think I might use a decorative rope to hang mine! What else would ya'll suggest?


Keep Reading:

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top